Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Lots of random thoughts

Ah, it's all just spewing out today.

First, the tracker has been updated for the first time in what seems like ages (but is actually only a week). After a huge drop, then fluctuating up and down around that figure, I've started to lose again. I'm hoping for another 2lb by next week (to take it to 2.5 stones by the time I go on holiday), but I'm not overly concerned if I don't make it. I'm still the thinnest I've been in ages.

Second, I kicked ass at the gym today. Before work I ran for 15 minutes then did the hardest weights session I've ever done. I increased the weights on most of the machines and did 3 sets of 15 reps instead of 2. I could definitely feel it more. Then I finished off my pre-work workout with a 40 minute swim.

After work I'd signed up for a Pilates class starting at 6.30. As I finished work on time I decided to head over to the gym early. I'm not quite sure what I planned to do, but I ended up running over 5k before having a bit of a rest before Pilates. I enjoyed Pilates. It wasn't too strenuous (which was a good job after the run), but did get me moving and working muscles. I just need to decide whether to carry on with it. The problem is that although that session was free, it's a 6 week course which you have to pay for. It's cheap, so I wouldn't mind apart from the fact that I might only be able to make 3 or 4 of the sessions. I'll see what the deal is tomorrow when they've had time to decide whether it's definitely happening.

Third, I'm not following a plan, but I've found the one I would be following if I was. If that makes sense. It's the "Food Doctor" diet, and it's pretty much (a) common sense and (b) what I'm doing. I'm not following it exactly, and I don't intend to, but I did buy the book for the recipes as they fit well with my focus on veggies instead of carbs for dinner etc. It's basically a low GI type plan, with a focus on changing the way you eat for life rather than for 6 months or a year, and there seem to be few strict rules and little counting. So I'm being guided by it in a way, but not in an inflexible way. The recipes are gorgeous though!

Fourth (I said I had lots of random thoughts), I'm getting worried about the next three weeks or so. My mum and sister are both coming over (back to back) as well as the week in Greece next week. Now, I don't want to apportion blame, but my mother is pretty much the same size as I am and never really instilled healthy eating in either myself or my sister. To put it simply, when she cooks I eat huge portions of crap.

Hell, even her cat's got fat living with her. It used to be my sister's cat until my sister went travelling round Thailand for three months. The cat moved in while she was away as someone had to look after it, and never moved out. It's now huge and very fat. Just from the portions. If she overfeeds the cat, then she'll sure as hell overfeed me.

I take my own share of the blame because for many years that was what I was accustomed to, so even when I cooked for myself, that's what I ate. But the difference is that I now recognise what my body needs, but don't know how to tell her that I don't want to eat the sort of food she will undoubtedly cook without hurting her feelings (and yes, she will cook. Because she's home all day and I tend to get back fairly late, she cooks because she doesn't want to wait for me to get in and then start cooking). So added to the holiday when I will almost certainly indulge myself, some time with her, and then my sister (who may well want me to cook for her, but is unlikely to want to eat huge portions of veg), I'm worried about going off track. This happened to me last year, and it took me ages to get back on the wagon. Plus when they're here they steal my car from me, making it much harder for me to get my early morning gym session in.

Difficult times ahead...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home