Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Sweet 16

The day has arrived. I will admit that the jeans in question may be quite generously cut and proportioned. And I will admit that they may be slightly tighter than I would ordinarily wear.

But the indisputable fact remains. I went shopping at lunchtime. And while I was trying on some jeans in the sale that I'd liked the look of for a while, I decided to pick up the size 16 version of some jeans that I have in an 18 and which are getting surprisingly baggy (due to said generous cut). I didn't expect them to fasten, as such, or to fasten without rolls and rolls of fat spilling over the top. But I wanted to see how much further I had to go before hitting the heady heights of size 16.

With a little trepidation I took them off the hanger, and looked at them nervously. I eased my legs into them. Up, past my thighs they went. Towards my hips. Surprisingly easily. Then to try to fasten them. How much of a gap was there between button and hole? How much further to go?

Well, no gap at all, actually. They fit like a glove. A very well fitted glove, mind you, but they definitely fit. Me. In a size 16. In jeans. The last time I bought any jeans in a size 16 I must have been at school. I might have still worn some at university, but no doubt only things I'd had for a while that had stretched with my stomach. Not off the hanger, out of the shop size 16s. Skirts I got away with for longer, as a good flared skirt could skim my non-size 16 hips more easily. But not jeans.

I know this victory doesn't mean that I'm a size 16. It means I'm an 18, but that the jeans were cut generously. I posted earlier about checking out sizing charts online, and I'm sticking with that analysis of being an 18. But it's not so long ago that I couldn't even fit into generously sized size 20s (but convinced myself that I was actually a 20 anyway), so I think it's definitely claimable as a milestone. And I didn't even fit into those very jeans in an 18 until May this year (I know, I tried earlier).

The question is, do I go back to the shop tomorrow and actually buy them and post pictures to prove I fit into them?

1 Comments:

Blogger stephanie said...

Sweet 16 indeed. My vote? Go buy the jeans! Somehow, mentally, it helps to have a size 16 item or two in the wardrobe. Regardless of generous cut or otherwise flukey fit.
Good work!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home