Monday, August 22, 2005

Momentum

I really feel like I'm on a roll now. I don't have to think about stuff so much, I just keep on doing what I'm doing and the weight keeps on coming off nicely. Even when I eat a large battered sausage and chip shop chips for lunch, washed down with a little beer. Ah well, it's almost certainly less than a pound so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I was talking to Mum in the pub. She keeps on asking me how much more I want to lose. Other people do too. Maybe they don't realise how heavy I was at first, but when I tell them how much I've lost they say that surely I can't have much more left to lose. At first I didn't want to admit the amounts involved to anyone, because it would reveal just how big I had let myself get. It's a bit daunting to come out and say, yes, I'd like to lose 7 or 8 stone. It tells them that you need to lose that amount, and putting it like that could put doubts in the mind of even the most committed person. Can I really lose that amount of weight without doing something drastic? I always just said I didn't know. Realistically, I'd have been happy to get down to where I am today, a fairly standard size 16 in most places, as thin as I've ever been, and merely overweight rather than obese. And 4 and a half stone isn't exactly a minor achievement anyway.

Now I still don't really know, although I have more of an idea, but the whole loss thing has taken on a momentum of its own. It's not a case of deciding what weight I want to be and stopping when I get there. What if I'd decided I really would be happy as a size 16? What would I do now? Would I stop doing what I'm doing, even though I enjoy it and it makes me feel great? Would I try to grind my metabolism to a halt even though it's working like a star and burning off those pounds quicker and more consistently than I ever expected? Would I start trying to eat more than I really need just to stop losing? Of course I wouldn't.

I say it time and time again, but this really is turning into a lifestyle change, and as my lifestyle is now one I'm happy with, and which is keeping me losing, I'd be a fool to stop, even if I'd already lost more than I thought possible. It's almost like I don't have a choice any more - this is just me, and this is my life. I just have to keep on living it, and I'll see where it takes me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

It's great when these things become second nature instead of having to agonise of every food choice. And why would you want to stop - far better to be fit and healthy and full of life than to "diet" to lose weight then go back to old habits.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home