Monday, October 03, 2005

Pleasing my inner bitch

Oh, I shouldn't do it, I know, but I never knew competitive dieting could be so fun... My boss came back to work from maternity leave today. She's been off work for 7 months, and hasn't seen the whole transformation first hand. A transformation which almost precisely coincided with her leave (possibly because I had no boss to overwork me???)

Anyway, for 18 months she stuck religiously to the Atkins diet. And I mean religiously. She would kick up a fuss in restaurants if they wouldn't modify a dish for her, she'd be very picky, and lost a decent amount of weight. I would never have stuck with that for as long as she did, and full credit to her for doing it. It must take a hell of a lot of willpower to stick to something so restrictive for so long.

Then she got pregnant and stopped doing it. I've never quite understood how she could possibly think something was healthy for her if it wasn't healthy for the baby. If (and this is a very hypothetical if) I were to get pregnant I can't see that I'd need to change what I eat very much at all, it's generally healthy, and it's enjoyable. But to spend 18 months eating stuff that you wouldn't eat while you're pregnant, don't you wonder whether it's healthy even when you're not pregnant?

Anyway, I digress. She had the baby, and she didn't pile the pounds on a such. She's pretty much maintained her loss. I'm not sure whether she's back on Atkins now and whether she's used that to get it back off again, but I'm sure she will be soon. She still has (release the inner bitch) a fair amount to lose. (I'm not saying that I don't, by the way, pot calling the kettle black time, possibly).

But it's hitting home. I started heavier than she did, and I'm definitely now thinner. And not only that, I'm starting to realise that I'm probably also thinner than one of the trainees. I'm not the fat one in the department, and I'm intending for things to stay that way. My inner bitch is quite enjoying this.

Not least because I can see her eyeing up what I eat, all those lovely carbs, chocolate when I fancy it, treats, no weighing and measuring, no bizarre unworkable rules, and no stress. I know it's because I exercise and she doesn't, but part of me loves that jealousy that seems to be lurking just under the surface.

1 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Ahhh, I know that inner bitch all too well! Go ahead and please her, she's worked damn hard to get where she is!

Beverly

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home