Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Happy Ankle-versary


It's the 10th January again. They come round every year, but this year more than ever I appreciate the miracle of medical science that put my anke back together on this day in January 2003. It's a long story, and I've already written it all out here, which you can read rather than me doing it again.

I really can't believe how strong my ankle is, how perfectly it works, and how little it affects my life now. It's not perfect, by any means, but it does everything it needs to do. It might be an ugly little bastard of an ankle, with scars down both sides, and a rather strange shape, but it works perfectly and I'd rather have that than a perfect looking ankle and a limp.

And that can apply to this whole journey. I want my body to work as much as I want to wear smaller clothes. If I have some saggy skin at the end of it, well, that's just a cosmetic thing, my body will still work better than it did at over 18 stone, and that's the important thing.


But today, even though they almost certainly won't read this, I just want to thank all the doctors and nurses and physios and everyone else who put me back together when I felt like I'd never be right again, and who helped me walk again when my ankle was so stiff that it barely moved. And a particular thanks (and sorry!) to anyone who had to lift, support or carry me (sorry Eduardo about those steps...)

(Sorry if you were eating when those pictures came up by the way! They're 2003 photos rather than what it looks like now, but I was in the mood for digging them out for some reason)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home