Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Yoga Lessons

Things I have learned from yoga:

1. Beans and lentils and stuff have unfortunate side effects. I really must find something else to eat on Wednesdays to avoid being known as "the one who farts". They don't normally affect me badly, but there's just something about yoga that encourages it all to come out.

Sorry, TMI.

2. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I still struggle with bending over and touching the floor for prolonged periods (I can touch my toes, but I can't hold it). But I'm a star at back bends and some of the other things that other people look at in horror. People aren't necessarily good at everything, and I need to focus on the things that I can do rather than the things that I can't do.

3. I can do a shoulder stand! Just. In a very shaky way. But there was definitely a bit of balance there.

I'm starting to get into it now, and it's nice to take some time out to relax and do something other than running. And it leaves me nice and chilled on a wednesday evening (literally, today, the room was so cold!), which is always a nice feeling.

Things are good, and I'm not getting too scared about September. Yet...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Yoga is something I struggle with - I have dodgy bones that seem to jut out when I'm doing some of the poses so that really puts me off.

Your first point is funny. The first time I ever did yoga, years ago, I was in a pose where it was impossible to hold things in and ended up - to put it bluntly - farting rather loudly. The girl beside me picked up her yoga mat and moved to the other side of the room!

Oh and good luck with the Berlin marathon :) Can't wait to hear more about that.

10:56 PM  
Blogger K said...

1. Yoga is notorious for having that effect. Don't worry, everyone else is doing it too...

2. It all gets better. The more you stretch, the more you can stretch.

It's funny how everyone finds different things hard in yoga. After years of trying to turn my legs out for ballet and Highland, the hip extensions in yoga seem easy, but I can't stand for prolonged periods on one foot without falling over...

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home