Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Yoga

Tonight I tried to kick off the "doing fun fit type things" resolution. My original thought was to start kickboxing, but it may well clash with Spanish after this month (if I move up to two nights per week), and also with upping my running I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do quite that much cardio.

So, instead I decided to try out yoga. I'm very aware of the fact that I'm pretty inflexible, and I figure that it won't get any better unless I do something about it. I got a leaflet through the door the other week about a new yoga class that was starting today, so I figured that at least if I get in at the beginning everyone will be in the same boat. Plus, it's at the gym at the end of the road so I don't really have an excuse for not going (other than the tight bastard Yorkshire part of me that begrudges paying for classes when I have a perfectly good gym membership elsewhere - while ignoring the fact that they don't include yoga at my gym anyway, and I'd have to pay extra there too).

Yesterday's trying to make myself committed task was buying a yoga mat (or at least spending my Boots points on one, rather than money actually changing hands), on the basis that it would make me more likely to turn up to the class. Today I popped in when I got off the bus to check I didn't need to sign up in advance or anything, but no, I had no excuse and I persuaded myself to get my arse down there.

I was actually quite keen on the idea because you never know, I might meet some people who live near me who are vaguely interested in keeping fit, and who might even become friends or running buddies. I never really see people from round where I live other than on my runs (when all the old dears walking their dogs in the park smile as I run towards them in my bright yellow Help the Aged t-shirt from the Abbey Dash), so it would be nice to get to know people. So it is kind of something I wanted to do.

I got there, and it was OK. I was just about right about how inflexible I am. Hopefully that will improve. Luckily I was also right about everyone else being beginners too, so that was one consolation. I do need to concentrate more on my breathing and "connecting with my body" rather than staring in the mirrors to work out whether my arse is fatter than other peoples though. (For the record, it's kind of in the middle...) So maybe I should change that resolution to "do fun sporty stuff and don't obsess about size of arse while doing it". It's a good job my own gym doesn't have quite so many mirrors...

So I'll probably go back. It gets me out of the house and away from the kitchen, and it is a nice contrast to my running. It's about 2 minutes away by foot, so I have no excuse really. My only worry is that if I do yoga and 2 nights of Spanish I'll never be in the house, but then what's in the house other than my own company and some books? I may as well get out and do stuff!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Definately get out there an do it. 3 nights out of the house is no big sacrifice and yoga is really good. You'll be amazed how quickly you become more flexible. Also, because it is concentrating on your breathing and relaxing it can improve your running times. Good luck!

9:34 AM  
Blogger K said...

I'd like to do yoga again too - I found it really de-stressing. Although I never did learn to stand on my left foot and not fall over.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Xena said...

I hope that you enjoy your yoga experience - for me, in addition to the flexibilty piece (which I would imagine could enhance your running, or maybe at least help with injuries), yoga really helps me connect with my body and "get to know" them better. Depending on the type of yoga, it also returns me to a centered state!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home