Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Veg Dilemmas

Normally my eating is fairly consistent at work. I take most of my food in and just eat it. Routine is good. I cook my porridge after the gym, I put something in the microwave at lunchtime. I have fruit by my desk all day, and I can make sure I have enough healthy food around to keep me going all day.

Today I had a full day meeting in Sheffield. Not one to let that get in the way of the gym (even two days after a half marathon), I went to the gym on the way down there. Which meant I needed a breakfast I could eat afterwards (in the car), but not anything that needed microwaving. I ended up with muesli, extra dried fruit and yoghurt which worked OK.

But then the slog through the meeting. I don't like making it through the whole morning without at least a piece of fruit mid morning. But that's what I had to do, so by the time the lunch came in I was worried what I'd do to it. At this point I was also starting to worry about whether there would be anything vegetarian I wanted to eat. And also whether it wouldn't be healthier to eat a chicken sandwich rather than a cheese one. Then the sandwiches came in and the vegetarian plate (thank god there was one!) looked far more tempting, and that was that. I just dove in (in a relatively restrained way) and wondered what I'd been worrying about.

I made it through the rest of the day, came home and cooked some sweet potato and spinach curry (my new recipe of the week). So much for the pancake day meat binge...

But it did get me wondering about the reasons for this sudden push towards vegetarian food. If I'm not looking solely at the healthiness of each individual food choice (e.g. chicken compared to cheese), and I'm not doing this because I have a deeply held belief that meat eating is "wrong", then what is it? I think what it boils down to is that although the vegetarian choice might not always be the healthiest, sticking to it as a rule means that I'm less likely to go off course on the majority of occasions where it is healthier. I don't know, it turns out I didn't fancy the meat sandwiches anyway, and that decision's been put off for another day, but I suppose I'm still working this out in my head.

Tomorrow I have another buffet out of the office, doing a presentation on the fantastically exciting Reuse of Public Sector Information Regulations (yes, my job is that dull), so fingers crossed that I carry on making relatively decent choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home