Saturday, March 18, 2006

Breakthrough!

It's funny to think that I've been working on this for so long, but still have huge breakthroughs from time to time. You'd think that I'd have worked it out by now, but no, they just keep on coming.

It's a fruit and veg related breakthrough today. While I've been doing this I've been trying to eat more fruit and veg, but I've still been relatively conservative in my choices. There are some fruit and veg that I know I like, and others that I don't cook or eat. It's fairly rare that something moves from one category to the other.

Traditionally it works like this. I buy prepared food (maybe a shop bought soup or a meal in a restaurant) that contains mainly things I know I like but with one new ingredient. If it's edible I eat it again, and I get used to that new ingredient slowly. But it's a long time before I attempt to cook it for myself. I adapt recipes to make up for ingredients that I haven't tried or don't know how to cook. Change is slow to arrive round here.

But this week I've really taken the bull by the horns. I'm reading recipes and I'm buying all the ingredients it lists, with no exceptions. (Even when that leads to me getting home and wondering exactly which veg was which...). I'm cooking vegetables that I may or may not have eaten in things before, but which are in the recipe and are therefore going to be cooked. And I'm surviving.

Sadly we're not talking anything too exotic. In fact, it's almost embarassing. Things like parsnip and swede, raw tomatoes (I eat them cooked, but I've never really liked them raw). And, to my eternal shame, apples.

Apples have been one of those funny foods for me. I remember eating them at some point in the past. But I stopped doing it and although I thought that they probably would be quite nice, I didn't want to buy them just in case I didn't like them. There were other fruits that I knew I liked, and it was easier to stick to those. Today I finally did it, I bought some apples and (in the more important step) ate one. And I liked it.

But it took me a solid year of determined weight loss and another nine months before that of vaguely healthier thinking to get to that stage. Change can be slow round these parts!

One very nice thing though is that is shows that I'm still looking for ways to introduce new things into my diet, even at this weight, and I'm still looking for things that I can try to make my life healthier or easier (or both). I'm determined not to get stuck in a rut of the same old foods all the time. This isn't about losing weight any more, it's about making myself as healthy as i can be, and there are still things that I can do to work on that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

Go you! I've been doing the same thing, teaching myself to eat things I've been somehow afraid of. The past few months, I've learned to eat winter squash. (Mostly in soups.)

On a different note: I broke my ankle about 13 months ago, and despaired of ever becoming a runner after that. But I see that you've done it! If you ever feel like writing about the process of becoming so active with an ankle full of pins and plates, at least one reader would love to hear about it.

2:06 PM  
Blogger YP said...

Lulu, I've written a couple of posts about my ankle, try http://ypweightloss.blogspot.com/2006/01/happy-ankle-versary.html and the post it links to for starters, but I'll try to do an update sometime for you!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thanks! I should have fished around in the archives before asking...

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home