Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Meat Free Update

It's a week since the start of lent, and two since I last ate meat, and I'm going well. It's been shockingly easy to stick to a vegetarian diet so far, I've had so many recipes that I want to try that I can't imagine where I'd have found a reason to eat meat. I'm enjoying being a bit more creative with my cooking, and I've not been tempted to eat meat at all. Giving up has been a non-issue because it's taken virtually no willpower and virtually no change to my mindset.

This is beginning to look more and more like it might end up being a permanent thing.

Who'd have thought it?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Good for you. I've been vegetarian for years and perfectly healthy (though not thin). It's so much easier then it used to be to eat out as a veggie, too, though there's not usually much choice. Why should vegetarians just get the "veg.option" when others get to choose, I've always wondered? Anyway, hope you keep enjoying your meat-free regime.

10:44 PM  
Blogger ChristineB said...

I don't want to sound preachy here, but vegetarians are at risk of developing iron deficiency anemia--I know from experience.

So, its really important you keep an eye on your iron/hemoglobin levels through blood tests.

If your diet is high in iron, you probably won't be anemic--iron is found raisins, spinach, broccoli, and egg yolks, but red meat and liver are the highest sources.

2:27 AM  
Blogger K said...

I don't think you need blood tests to check your iron levels unless you already have cause for concern (brittle nails, low energy etc). I've also been vegetarian for many years, and I've never had any associated health problems. (I've even been told a couple of times that I "don't look like a vegetarian", as if we were all pallid and weedy.)

Though it's true what Isabelle says, that it doesn't automatically make you thin - but I reckon you know all the pitfalls to avoid by now!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home