Sunday, March 26, 2006

Wine

This weekend I've set myself a challenge. Of all the things that I've consumed to excess over the course of my life so far, the one that causes me most concern is alcohol. I'm not too proud to admit that I have been known to drink too much. Getting control of my drinking was an important part of getting control of the rest of my life including eating and exercise.

But I've noticed recently that while I can happily go through the week without alcohol, if (when) I buy a bottle of wine on a Saturday I won't go to bed until I've drunk every last drop of it. (and yes, I know that getting through an entire bottle of wine in the house alone isn't the healthiest of behaviours) It's the old clearing the plate, not wasting anything. Once the bottle is open it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

So I wanted to think of a way to be able to drink according to what I feel like drinking, rather than what is available to me. So I bought a box of wine. 3 litres worth. 4 bottles. 41 units.

The reason I did this is because I know that this should be more than I can drink in a weekend. (Should being the word, althought I wouldn't put it past me). I can't see how much is left in the box and I can just pour it out at the speed that I think I want to drink it, rather than thinking there's a glass left, I'll just drink it.

This could have been a complete failure. After all, I know that I can sometimes drink more than a bottle at a time. I know I shouldn't, but equally I know that I can. But I wanted to see whether the lessons in moderation that I've learned could be channelled into alcohol.

Over the weekend I've not been too bad. I've managed to leave the box pretty much alone. I know it's there, but I can have a glass or two rather than a bottles worth. I suppose that one question I have is whether I'll be able to do my normal alcohol free weeks with it sitting there in the kitchen looking at me, but maybe a glass a day over the course of the week would be better than how I currently drink anyway.

If the box is finished by the weekend the experiment has failed and I won't buy another one. And because I can't see how much is left in the box and tailor my drinking accordingly, it should be an interesting test of what I do actually drink when left to my own devices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home