Friday, April 07, 2006

The Day of Rest

I feel so lazy this morning! I'm not exercising on a weekday morning. I don't have an early meeting somewhere else in the country. I'm not ill or injured. I could get to the gym quite easily.

But I'm having a rest day.

This is the first time I've not gone to the gym on a weekday when I could have made it for over a year (seriously!). I've missed weekdays because of other commitments, and I've had rest days at weekends. But never on a weekday. A year!!! I don't always exercise hard, I might go in and have a gentle swim. But I always do something.

I tend to make sure I go to the gym during the week because it fits into my commute better that way, but I've been reassessing what I do this week. The main thing is that once I start the marathon training in a couple of weeks time I do two longish runs on Saturday and Sunday and take Friday off as rest to prepare. That makes sense.

Friday is often my low intensity swimming day anyway, so it works quite well with what I usually do, other than the mental side of believing that I can lie in bed ignoring the alarm and still get back into it the next day, I do think that I partly go to the gym every day through fear of what will happen if I don't. Friday is also good because I'm usually out Thursday night and Friday night so it's nice to have some time on Friday morning to do a couple of jobs. And this week it works because I'm racing on Saturday rather than Sunday, and I'd usually take the day before a race off.

So I'm trialing the whole Friday as complete rest thing today. The race tomorrow is only 5k and I'd probably have coped with it if I'd swum today. But once I get up to running big distances over the weekend I'll need this rest day, so I may as well get into the habit of it now!

Of course, I didn't change my alarm so I'm still up at the crack of dawn, but at least I'm just lazing around instead of dashing into town. The only downside is that I'll have to brave rush hour to get into work. gah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home