Monday, April 24, 2006

Peace... or not!

I've got the house (and the kitchen) to myself again for two weeks before I head over to Spain to see mum and dad and their new house, so I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet with early nights and a bit of "me-time".

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll get it. Work has gone crazy and I just realised that I only have 9 (no, make that 8) days left in work to finish off a mountain of stuff before my holiday. I have all day meetings tomorrow and on Thursday, and a long list of unfinished jobs I need to clear up before I go away. I really need to get my head down and get down to it, ticking those jobs off as soon as I can before my stress levels hit the roof!

Still, I'm not going to let my exercise or eating slip (in fact, I tend to eat better when I'm busy because I don't have time to think about snacking), and I had a fantastic run this morning (for full details see BerlinBlog when I get round to writing it...) I want to have a good 2 weeks before I go away and start eating rubbish. Hopefully with the bank holiday I should be able to cook up next week's food over the weekend, and this week is pretty much sorted out.

I'm still eating veggie, other than a slight brush with chicken yesterday where I had to pick the chicken out of a curry because there was nothing else remotely suitable for me on a menu when we ate out. There is one vegetable I refuse to eat, mushrooms, and this pub had a grand total of three vegetarian options, and all three included mushrooms (this despite being lured in by a menu with two lovely looking things, which we were then told were no longer available, having been replaced by mushrooms and more mushrooms).

I actually don't enjoy eating out that much at the moment. Other than a couple of places in Amsterdam, I tend to find pubs and restaurants (in this country, but even more so in Spain) have far less imaginative menus than the stuff I cook at home, and because I now enjoy cooking for myself I don't see eating something bland or re-heated as a treat any more when I could eat a freshly prepared vegetarian feast at home. There are exceptions, of course, but they tend not to be the sort of places my family want to eat...

Anyway, there's work waiting for me so I suppose I'd better get on with it!

1 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I know exactly how you feel about work... It will all get done. You're obviously a very efficient person. I guess it's a case of gritting the teeth and thinking how nice it'll be to be on holiday!

Mmmm, mushrooms. Point taken, though, about the bland/reheated nature of a lot of vegetarian options in restaurants. Who wants to eat, say, pasta with just pesto as a treat?

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home