Tuesday, April 11, 2006

TMI about TOM

First of all, I know there's no substitute for getting proper medical advice about this one, but I don't know whether I'll see a doctor about this one, because it doesn't bother me that much. Enough to write about it, but not enough to do anything about it.

Basically I haven't had a period since the New Year. Not a proper one. It's now mid April. That's a long time, even for me. In one sense I'm not that bothered, because I don't really want one. But on the other hand I guess I'd rather know if there's something serious behind it.

I always used to have fairly irregular periods, up to around 13 weeks between them. Most of the time it was less, but 13 was the record. Once I started losing weight everything became a lot more regular, which was a bit of a pain in the arse to tell the truth, I was used to not having to worry about them too much!

But now, they seem to have stopped again. I had one over the new year and then what can only be described as spotting in mid/late February. Very light spotting at that. Not what you'd call a proper period at all. And that's it for the year. Nothing more than that. That's not normal. When they disappeared before taking agnus castus used to provoke a reaction, but there's no sign of anything trying the same approach this time.

I'm kind of tempted to go to the doctors just to check that there's nothing serious behind it, but I don't really want a "cure". I just want to make sure it's nothing that has more wide reaching implications. I don't want to be put on the pill to make it more regular, because I'm quite happy being period free as long as it's not affecting my health. I don't want or need any tests to see whether it's a fertility related issue. And I don't need a pregnancy test (best call the Catholic Church if that one comes up positive...) And I'm not sure I want to faff around taking time out of work to travel up to the doctors and back when it's not something that bothers me. But then it would be nice to have a reason for it.

I'm just rambling now, so I'll go and ponder elsewhere.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

If you have been having your all checks done when you're supposed to, then I wouldn't worry either. I've always had irregular periods and like you started getting them regularly since losing weight (one of the less favourable side effects).

A few years ago, my doctor sent me to a gyno to get it checked out and they wanted to run a heap of tests on me - i questioned them about it and it turned out that there was nothing serious wrong, they just wanted to diagnose something. I ended up cancelling the tests - why spend precious time and money plus go through some unpleasant examinations just to satisfy their curiosity.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I don't agree. You should go to the doctor and just check that everything's ok. Not wanting to take the time to do it isn't a sensible reason, and you must know this. There's probably nothing wrong, but you need to be sure. I'd probably have exactly the same attitude as you, if it were me, but I would know it wasn't the right one. Go.

10:26 PM  
Blogger B said...

Losing your period is pretty common after such a substancial weight loss. Mine started going all loopey right before I got to goal, and hasn't been the same since. In fact, I went over a year without having one at all. I would go ahead and have it checked out if it will make you feel better, but chances are, you're body is just in a state of shock right now. As long as your %body fat is in a normal range (not too low) then I'm sure everything will get back to normal with time.

Beverly

2:13 PM  
Blogger K said...

I think I'd probably go to the doctor...

Have fun in Amsterdam, anyway.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Hmmm - not sure what to suggest. I've got polycystic ovaries, which meant that I sometimes didn't have a period for up to two years, and then at other times I'd never stop bleeding (every day heavily for 8 months was my record).

I ignored it for years and years, and when I finally went to the docs I had to have tons of tests done, and eventually had one of my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. It didn't 'cure' the problem though - the only thing that seems to have impacted on my periods is my weight loss - I've been as regular as clockwork for the past 6 months.

I should imagine it's nothing to worry about, but if like me you don't have regular medical check-ups (we don't tend to in the UK), then it might be worth a visit to your GP just to let him do some blood work and have a feel of your pelvic area - my biggest ovarian cyst was feelable (is that a word?) through my lower abdomen (even when I weighed 15 stones!) -so if there's anything like that going on your GP should be able to detect it and get you sorted.

Good luck,

Janey

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home