Thursday, May 18, 2006

Priorities

This week I've realised again how my priorities have changed. Work has been manic. I got back home at about 10pm on Sunday night. I left the house at 6.15am on Monday and got in at about 8.30. Tuesday was 6.45 - after midnight. Wednesday 6.30 - 9pm. Today 6.15 - 9.30.

On Sunday night I got back to a house with no food, with no petrol in my car and with my tyre deflating. I intended to get some petrol and air for the tyre on Monday evening, then go to the supermarket.

As of now there is no food in the house, no petrol in the tank and no air in the tyre. My case is still sitting unpacked, with my holiday clothes unwashed, and I feel like every ounce of energy has left my body. I left Spanish midway through the lesson tonight because I just couldn't keep on going in the knowledge that I'd only get home at 10.30.

I haven't eaten well by my normal standards. On Tuesday I had cheese sandwiches for lunch, nibbled on biscuits throughout the meeting and grabbed something from Kings Cross at 9.30 to eat on the way home. Yesterday I ate pizza.

But equally, I've eaten as well as I could in the circumstances. I've made sure I've snacked on fruit as much as possible. I've grabbed a few vegetable and salady things from M&S at Leeds station on the way home on the basis it's the only place in the city centre that's open late enough and sells fruit and veg. I had extra veg on my pizza. I've been raiding the freezer to take food into work (but suspect I'll need a big cooking session at the weekend to restock). Not perfect, but not too bad.

And better than that is the exercise. I've had to adapt, but I've done it. I ran on Monday (which was probably a good idea with hindsight!). I had to skip Tuesday because of the London trip, then I combined my run with my commute on Wednesday by running to work. Today was a bit more normal, so I managed a 5.5 mile run from the gym this morning. Over 15 miles is pretty creditable given the week I've had. I'm definitely looking forward to my rest day tomorrow!

It's interesting how my priorities have changed, and how I'm making time for different things. I'm probably not going to the rugby tomorrow night because it would be another post-midnight night (and I can't get the car sorted out in time). But I am getting up early, even after a late night, to go for a run, and I am spending that extra half hour to ransack the freezer for something nutritious to eat the next day. I'm realising that exercise really is a priority now.

A bad week will always throw you off track to some extent. But unless it's a really, really, bad one, there's usually time for just a little bit of "me" time. And I'm using it to exercise rather than to sleep, or to watch tv. I still have to eat, and with a bit of thought (and having some pre-cooked stuff available really helps) I can at least make it slightly less bad than it could have been. That's the important thing, really.

I may not always be perfect, but at least if my priorities are right I won't be as bad as I might have been!

Hopefully I'll get round to the monster holiday post at the weekend. Roll on some sanity!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home