Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Noooooooo...

please tell me this isn't happening.

I think my iPod has died. I suspect, from a quick search online, that the hard disk is dead. Very dead. Indeed.

I've been trying to restore or update it (or indeed get it to do anything) all night. My computer can just about sense that it's there, although it can't find anything on it, but iPod updater and iTunes can't read the disk. Reading through the stuff I've found on the internet, a couple of the niggles I've been having it recently are signs of the hard disk being on its last legs, so maybe it's just dead.

I'm no techie though, and it may be that there's a way of reviving it, but I really don't want to start messing around too much with stuff I don't understand. I've tried the simple things, and I'm not getting anywhere. I could send it off for service, but it's well out of warranty so it would probably cost nearly as much as a new one. This could well be terminal.

Which gives me a dilemma. I love my iPod. I stil have my shuffle for the gym, but I can't imagine being without the big daddy. I bought it just before I lost my first stone, and it's been with me all the way. I stopped using it at the gym when I picked up the shuffle, but I always saw the shuffle as purely a gym toy rather than something that I'd use day in day out when I want to be able to navigate the menu, choose tracks etc.

I'd love a new one. I've been craving a colour screen and the ability to store my photos on my iPod ever since the colour iPods came out. I'm not so fussed about videos, but photos, yup, that would do me nicely. The videos would be a nice toy, but not an essential or critical factor for me.

The only problem is I can't really afford a new one. I could go a bit cheaper and get a nano to replace it, but that wouldn't hold all my music, let alone photos. I love the nanos too, mind you, but I'm not looking for something to exercise with, I'm looking for a proper, hard disk, loads of capacity iPod.

I was intending holding out until the next version of iPod is released later in the year. I don't know when it will be, but assume it will come at some point. Not soon enough. I'm going on holiday next weekend, and I can't imagine going on holiday without my iPod now. (God, I'm so spoiled. I remember when I had about two tapes and a walkman.) If I'm going to splash out on a replacement, the spendaholic part of me tells me that I should get it over with, do it now, and use it when I want it. (Even more imminent, I can't imagine the evening drive back from London on Saturday having to listen to the radio rather than my 'pod.

I don't know what to do. I really shouldn't get a replacement... but I suspect that I'm going to.

This is the reason I never seem to pay off my credit cards by as much as I want to...

(Update - The computer still isn't recognising it, but I've managed to unlock the screen and get to the menus. Whether it will actually play anything is, of course, a different matter...)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Damn it. Ipods don't seem to have long lives. I'd get one now - whenever they bring out new models, they seem to be a bit dodgy - my son got his ipod when they first came out and had to return it 3 times in the first year. I'd rather have something that's been on the market awhile than a new generation ipod with glitches.

10:52 PM  
Blogger K said...

Here's a handy page for unwell iPods. I don't know if it'll help, but nothing ventured...

http://www.vsa.cape.com/~danh/ipod.htm

2:23 PM  
Blogger GetStrongGirl said...

Hello there. I opened a blogger account just because I really wanted to email you. I couldnt find your address. I think you are absolutely amazing in what you have accomplished. You helped me to start running also. I have lost 110pds and regained 40, and trying to get my motivation back. I love how motivated you are to cook, eat well and exercise. I loved your posts about your new jeans! I have only been reading for a few months, but really wanted to commnd you. I know how hard it is and keep up the GREAT work!~Jackie www.fatfornow.com

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home