Saturday, July 22, 2006

More on the number 10

The nice thing about living in such a metrically challenged country as England is that there are multitudes of ways to measure your weight. Well, three at least. Kilos, stones and pounds. Even though the scale at the gym measures in both kilos and pounds there's also a cheat sheet in the consultation room which converts from kilos to pounds. It's printed on both sides and it goes from 0 up to 140kg/22 stone. That's 308lb, if my maths head is working today.

On each side there are seven columns, one for each 10kg. So the front side goes from 0 - 70, and the back goes from 70 - 140. When I started I was pretty near the bottom of the fifth column of seven on the back. That's pretty damn near the highest weights it goes to. I always looked at the back. My starting weight, my 100lb goal, everything, was still on the back.

It was only when I got down closer to my goal (which worked out at about 72lb) that I started to realise how close I was to turning the sheet over. But then I got on the maintenance kick, and I've stopped really focussing on losing.

I mentioned yesterday that I hadn't weighed for a while and I wasn't particularly looking forward to the prospect this morning. How wrong I was! Somehow, and I really don't know how, while I've been on holiday (and the part weeks before and after which have been spent running outside rather than going to the gym), I've lost weight.

I got down to a low of 155lb a while back, but had found myself drifting back upwards towards 158 which seems to be a weight my body likes. I was expecting to be in the 158 - 162 range this morning, with the assistance of a bit of holiday weight.

So it came as quite a shock when I stepped on the scales and didn't see the customary 7 at the start of my weight. (It starts off in kilos, then you can switch to lb). I blinked, got off, back on again and it was the same. 69.7kg, or 153.5lb.

That was a nice enough surprise to start with, but then I went to the sheet to see what that is in stone. I realised that not only did I have to turn the sheet over to look at the front (!!!), my weight is now below 11 stone. Because my goal weight was 11 stone 6, I never really thought beyond the 11s. They seemed far enough away for me, so it was best not to think about what lay beyond that.

But now, for the first time in forever, I'm 10 stone something! OK, 10 stone 13.5, and only just sneaking under that 11 stone mark, but still 10 stone something.

The number 10 likes me at the moment :)

2 Comments:

Blogger lazylol said...

Congratulations on your number 10 ! Wow!

3:31 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

I like stones. i wish we had that over here. I'd be much thinner in stones.
nice work!

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home