Sunday, August 06, 2006

Parachute madness

Sometimes I get an idea in my head and it proves remarkably hard to shift. Exhibit 1. The marathon plan.

Earlier this year some people I know did a charity parachute jump. It involved a days training then a jump. They want to jump again next month, before their six month window after the training runs out (I think that you have to jump once every six months if you don't want to retrain). And they've asked me to go along.

Obviously I'd have to do the training day, so it costs more (£180 as opposed to about £35 for the jump itself), but I'm strangely tempted. I'm not sure I have the money, but I really fancy doing it, and it's partly a weight loss treat.

Because I CAN do it.

It's funny, my acceptance that I am actually thin is obviously gaining hold. I was sent a link to more information about the jump, and a document setting out restrictions, including weight restrictions, and I didn't actually look at it. I think somewhere deep down I realised that I didn't have anything to worry about with weight restrictions any more. Some other people I know who were considering it will almost certainly fall down on those restrictions, and it was only when they were chickening out on weight grounds that I realised that it would probably be worth looking.

· Over 13 stone in weight for males and 12 stone for females fully clothed.
Please note: You will be weighed to ensure this requirement is adhered to .
· Overweight for your age, sex or height.


The male weight is actually a typo, it should read 15 stone, but the important bit is the one in the line below. For me 12 stone (168lb) and a BMI of 24.9 are the same place, but it seems that if I was shorter that 12 stone limit would drop and they'd want you to be even lighter. I'm not sure what would happen if I was taller - at 5 foot 10 or 11 I could be over 12 stone and not be overweight, and it seems unfair that men would get away with it and women wouldn't, but that's irrelevant.

Because I'm light enough as it is, without any need to ask whether they can bend the rules slightly. I'm still not a fan of enforced weighing, but I'd be confident that I would make it, even if the scales weighed slightly differently to mine.

The only remaining drawbacks are firstly that I'm not actually sure I have the money (and if I do it might be better spent on a bike, which I've been considering getting for a while now), and secondly that it's probably the weekend before Berlin. That might be good to take my mind off tapering, but I'm not sure I want to do anything that will risk my legs (or any other part of my body!) so close.

Part of me wants to do it, because I can, and because I might not always be able to fit under those restrictive weight limits. But equally, I'm intending to maintain, aren't I? Why should I worry about regaining?

So, should I jump or not?!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

I'd definitely be getting feedback about injury risks first - not necessarily the big risks but even things like small ankle sprains if you land incorrectly - the sort of thing that wouldn't matter so much if you didn't have the marathon to worry about.

It does sound like fun though.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I think I'd probably wait until after your marathon. You've faithfully trained and looked forward to it and it would be horrible if you couldn't finish because of something related to the jump. (Can you get them to switch it to the weekend after the marathon? You'd be able to celebrate your accomplishment, which would make it even nicer!)

7:22 PM  
Blogger J said...

I think you should do it - I'd want to but I don't know that I'd be able to screw up the courage.

3:21 PM  
Blogger YP said...

One of them's running a half the week after, so I don't think that will work. And then the week after that is the week before I run a half. And then they're out of time. I might quiz them more on the possibility of minor injuries...

6:39 PM  
Blogger K said...

No WAY would I ever do a parachute jump. Just doesn't appeal (oh, and also I'm a wimp).

But if it's something you want to do? Go for it.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home