Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Relentless

I've decided what the hardest thing about marathon training is. It's not the long runs that are the hard ones. It's the short ones a couple of days after a long one, when your quads and hamstrings are still screaming for mercy, and when the first few steps you take are taken in an awkwardly limping style as your legs try to persuade you that it's really not a good idea.

Yesterday I was incredibly close to not running, but I made myself go into the gym (on the basis that I should at least do some cross training if I didn't run), and ended up doing 30 minutes on the treadmill, then this morning I managed a 40 minute run outside, but it gets harder and harder to keep on backing up at the moment, doing run after run after run.

I'm doing it though. I've cut the distances of the midweek runs a little from what the schedule suggests, but I'm still ticking over. It's relentless, and I sometimes wonder why I'm putting myself through so much pain and discomfort (not the bad knee and hip pain I had a while back, more just muscle soreness), but there's no way I'm giving up now.

And the rest of my life seems to have the same relentlessness. Work is busy, mum's over from Spain, it's a constant cycle of running and working and going down to Sheffield, and going to Spanish lessons. I get in in the evening and I'm shattered, but I get up in the morning and I do it all again.

Thankfully I've got a couple of days off next week. I probably won't get the chance to blog again for a while, so I'll make my excuses now. I'm out tomorrow and Friday evenings, then I'm down in London on Saturday, flying to Prague on Sunday morning, staying there until Wednesday, out on Thursday and then going over to St Annes to see my other grandparents next Friday and Saturday. Phew! I'm hoping to fit in a couple of runs in the meantime (and there's a gym in the hotel in Prague), but if I don't, I might just relax in the knowledge that when I get back I only have one more 20 mile run (on the Sunday I get back from St Annes) before the taper starts.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll spend the weekend drinking too much and eating rubbish, but I'm going to enjoy it anyway. See you when I get back!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Do you have time in your schedule to fit in a sports massage? They are fantastic for getting all the knots and soreness out of the muscles :)

1:45 AM  
Blogger Lex said...

Did you end up seeing the Aunt and Uncle who were over? How did that all turn out? You left us in such suspense last time!

I should introduce myself. I'm a lurker who wandered over from Fat For Now a few months ago and stayed because you are a fellow lawyer and, hence, I can identify with you a lot!

2:49 AM  
Blogger M@rla said...

Wow, you are busy!

I've read your blog for a long time, so it's embarassing that I don't know this, but when IS the marathon?

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home