Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Havering

1000 miles is quite a long way. Just over 38 marathons, or 76 halves. 100 10 mile races.

It's also how far I've run this year. Well, not exactly. The actual number my running log is giving me is 1001.1 miles, but sadly I didn't quite run all of them. There's the second half of Berlin for a start, and various walk breaks on my other runs. And some of the distances (well, all the distances other than races) aren't accurately measured and could be a bit more or less. But I've laced my trainers up and headed out of the door for a run, and covered over 1000 miles in the process.

That's a long way.

It works out at over 100 miles per month, or around 25 miles per week. It also works out at me being pretty consistent, and other than holidays maintaining a pretty regular pattern of running.

It's a figure I never even imagined aiming for, let alone seeing, when I first tried to run a mile. Not that I kept any record at that stage of how far I was running, how fast, or how often. But 1000 miles in less than 10 months wouldn't have entered into my thinking. It's only a figure I really started considering once I got close to it, even though I had a vague idea that 100 miles per month was achievable.

And how fab some of those 100 miles have been, the 6.2 that made up my 10k PB, the last mile up Unter den Linden, through the Brandenburg Gate and to the finish in Berlin, the first time I ran round Eccup and realised how close the countryside was. The time I ran from Keighley to Leeds. The mornings when everything seems to feel effortless.

There have been rubbish ones too, like the time I hurt my hip 3 miles from home and had to walk back, or miles 18 - 25 in Berlin when I felt like I was about to throw up. 10k in June in searing heat. But they all add up, and I've learned from them all.

In total, I've spent 6 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 39 seconds running so far this year which gives an average speed of about 6.3 miles per hour (with a bit of rounding!). Which isn't bad at all. Can you imagine running for 6 and a half days? That's nearly a whole week! Not to mention the time I've spent thinking, reading and writing about running (and shopping for running stuff - damn you, Up and Running). So that's where my life went.

In honour, I've been singing away to myself in my head all day, and shamelessly murdering the Proclaimers (even in my head my singing voice is appalling, and my version of the chorus is even worse). Join in...

But I would run 500 miles
And I would run 500 more
Just to be the girl who ran 1000 miles
To be obese no more

(These lyrics miss out the best bits! Not that I have a clue how to transcribe them phonetically... dah dah dah, sing along!)

When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you

If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you
And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door

When I'm working yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's working hard for you
And when the money comes in for the work I'll do
I'll pass almost every penny on to you

When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you
And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door

When I'm lonely yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man whose lonely without you
When I'm dreaming yes I know I'm gonna dream
Dream about the time when I'm with you.

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door


And I still don't know what havering is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamela @ MyBodyMyBlog said...

Havering is talking rubbish, at length. signed, American married to a Scot

8:55 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

a thooosand miles! that's brilliant :) nice to have these statistics on your hands :)

10:24 PM  
Blogger running uphill said...

Wow! Don't you just love adding up those miles. It sure sounds like you have made some amazing changes in your life. Very inspirational.

10:37 AM  
Blogger K said...

Wow... I wonder how long it would take me to clock up a thou!

Well, I ran a mile and a half at lunchtime. I guess it's a start. But go you!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm laughing so hard right now because I know I'll be singing this song everytime I go for a walk/jog.

Congrats to you and all your hard work!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home