Monday, October 09, 2006

Hibernation

The nights are drawing in, and all I want to do is nest and sleep. I seriously feel like I should be gathering nuts and leaves and stuff, making a cosy little hidey hole and going to sleep until spring.

I was so tired all weekend, yesterday afternoon I managed to fall asleep at 3, 6 and 8.30 for short naps before finally going to sleep properly at about 10. Saturday was better, but still had me in bed by 10. I'm the life and soul of any party, clearly!

On Saturday when we went shopping I also found myself buying eminently sensible, nesting type things. Jumpers, cardigans, boots, kitchen stuff. Gone are the floaty, frivolous dresses of summer, from hereon in it seems to be all practical, warmth giving stuff. I've actually managed to summon up some enthusiasm for doing some tidying and throwing out of stuff from the house so it isn't all bad, but where's my va va voom gone?

I'm still looking forward to Amsterdam at the weekend, but I can't summon up much enthusiasm for booking any other trips, even my normal November trip to GC. Considering my mum has a new kitten and my sister has a new puppy I really should be more keen to get out there!

And as for running, it gets harder and harder as the mornings get darker. It's not that I don't want to run, it's more that I don't feel as comfortable doing it. Running after work isn't any better - although it might still be dark when I get in, it would still be dark by the time I get back from a run, so it's not worth switching my schedule round for it. I'm doing sensible things, I've got a fluorescent arm band, and I've ordered an attack alarm specifically designed for runners, but still I just feel less safe than in summer.

I don't like winter. How long til spring?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lex said...

I know what you mean about running in the dark! I'm a terrible newbie compared to you (I run 1.5 miles and then walk 1.5 miles, 4 times a week), but I've still been diligent about going.

I was running at a local park, but it seems creepy now that the nights are closing in. Luckily, I have a 100 pound Labrador that I've enlisted as a running buddy. It's AMAZING how wide a berth people give me when Sirius is along (even though he wouldn't ever bite anyone unless they were wearing a meat suit).

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like your lifestyle is "Giant Black Dog" friendly (between court and working weekends, there's no way I could manage without Jess to let him out!), but maybe a friend has a dog they'd like to loan out to get out of the chore of walking? *g*

5:04 AM  
Blogger K said...

I don't mind winter as such, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to wake up in the morning...

I've been going running at lunchtimes, which works surprisingly well - obviously the run has to be shorter to allow time to clean oneself up and change afterwards, but it's better than nothing. And not dark.

Sirius is a FABULOUS name for a big black dog. I wonder if he gets called Snuffles when he wants to be incognito?

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home