Saturday, December 09, 2006

If you've got it, flaunt it

There are certain looks which, if I'm being completely honest, it's not a good idea to attempt unless you're (a) thin or (b) very confident. They're not easy to pull off. The shorter the skirt the better the legs need to be, and the barer the midriff the flatter the stomach needs to be.

Strangely with all my worrying about whether anyone else would dress up, I forgot to worry about whether my legs or my tummy or my confidence would be up to carrying the outfit off. It was only when I came to put it on for real that I realised just how short the skirt was. And it was only when I looked in the mirror I realised what all this hard work has done. I look far far better in school uniform now than I ever did when I was at school.

Not that my version of school uniform was anything like this, mind you.



Not remotely like that. The only common feature is the rounders colours (which you can just about see on my collar - I was most impressed by the people who assumed I must have been really sporty at school because I am now and they don't know any different...)

It was, as a colleague pointed out, more of a Britney Spears type look*. But simply, I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to go out dressed like that again. The next time a school uniform themed party comes round will I be too old to pull it off? I was already one of the oldest who dared go quite so short. But I've worked for those legs so I was damn well going to show them. There was no more on display than when I'm running, after all.

And I had a fab night. Probably the best office party I've been to while I've been working there, despite being the one I've been most sober at. I started off on an unidentified vimto based drink. I don't think there was any alcohol in it - if there was it should have affected me more than it did. I alternated between that and J20 (which I knew was safe) and only moved onto wine during the meal. I poured myself a really small glass and struggled to drink it (I still seem to have a problem with red wine), then poured another one on the basis that if I was carrying a drink I wasn't actually drinking it would stop me picking anything else up! I had a couple more soft drinks, and a smirnoff ice later on when I was dancing. (Oh yes, not only did I dress as a schoolgirl, I threw myself into the YMCA with gusto). I was never one for dancing around at the school disco back in the day (in fact I don't remember going to a school disco other than the sixth form leaving do), so I made up for it, and then some.

I was rather worried at some of the comments though. In the toilets people were complaining that all the music was too old and they needed to play some more recent stuff that people remembered. Too old? That was the music of my youth. Does this mean....

aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh....

I'm getting old. Gah.

Anyway, I left at about 10.45 and got a bus home (having amused some colleagues with the prospect of me walking through town dressed like that - I did have a coat on by the way to cover it up!), and woke up this morning nicely hangover free, but well partied. A nice balance. I went and I had a good time, but I didn't spend today paying for it.

Now I just have to wait for the comments on Monday morning about my attire...



*As in early Britney, rather than no pants Britney...

7 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

It's such a cute look maybe you should consider throwing a themed party just so you can wear the outfit again.

I think with short skirts it's a matter of what you're used to. I'd wear skirts that length to work as part of a suit.

9:24 PM  
Blogger K not Kay said...

I second this: such a cute look!
And you look youthful, happy, confident and content.
Glad to hear you've had a great time. :)

11:30 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

You looked Hottttttt! Sounds like you had a ball. And thanks for showing us a photo. :)

2:26 AM  
Blogger Lex said...

The outfit looks amazing! Mini-skirts are so "in" right now that I think you could wear the skirt again with some solid tights.

In any event, I love it and it sounds like you had a great time!

3:35 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

You look gorgeous! And your legs are toned and fabulous! Way to go! I am so glad to hear that you had a good night at the work party... what will you go dressed as next year??? :)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Shauna said...

great idea kathryn... school-theme new years party!

looking good YP! glad you had a fab time :)

3:44 PM  
Blogger JessiferSeabs said...

Nice gams, lady!

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home