Thursday, January 11, 2007

Surprise Surprise

I'm so excited. After an uninspiring day at work during which I was pondering (among other things) trying to change the direction of my career, I got home, and it was dark, and cold and windy. All day I'd been playing the old game of "work out something to cook using the remaining few ingredients in the fridge", and I'd just about worked something out.

I opened the front door and there was something different. A different smell. It smelt earthy, and I was sure it wasn't my dirty cross country trainers (which now live in the porch due to the amount of mud they're carrying along with them). No, it smelt more wholesome than that. More like...

Vegetables!

I prodded around (carefully) with my feet for a while and found something hard and, well, box shaped. I started getting very excited, I wasn't expecting a veg delivery until next week but Thursday is veg day so it couldn't possibly be, could it? I opened the second door (behind which lies the light switch), turned the light on and checked.

It could be! I have veg!



I realise that I'm getting indecently excited about the arrival of some grubby carrots and parsnips and onions and potatoes and cauliflower and brocolli and leeks, but I've been meaning to set this up for so long that I'm glad I'm finally started.

Plus it lets me sit down and plan what I'm going to eat for the next week. I'm going to enjoy this. (Well, perhaps excepting the eating broccoli part, but I've got to start sometime)

4 Comments:

Blogger Xena said...

Oh, I am so *jealous*! I can't find any such service here in the U.S., and I have tried. Have fun - can't wait to see what you come up with!

8:10 PM  
Blogger minigrrl said...

Cool! Definitely signing up now - it looks a lot better than I expected. I just walked by there 20 minutes ago and peered in the window...

Have you seen the ice rink? I'm SO excited (I'm Canadian, I miss skating)... Though it does look rather like a lake with waves right now. I bought new skates especially for it last week! (Just moved to Leeds in June..) A little off topic, but hey, I'm excited! :-D

8:17 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yum. I use the broccoli stalks in soups to bulk them out. But then I love broccoli.

10:27 PM  
Blogger JessiferSeabs said...

Until you learn to like broccoli, a nice way to eat it is to stir fry it up with some garlic and soy sauce... in a bit of olive oil... until it is crisp-tender.

Tastes like Chinese food!

I loooooove leeks.
I would be unreasnably excited about a box of veg, too!

XENA -- you can do it in the US, at least in MN...

http://www.seward.coop/index.html

That's the place near me -- if you visit the site, perhaps they can direct you to something in your area!

~JS

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home