Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gah

It's all gone quiet over here because my parents are here and as ever winding me up with the little stuff. I've got used to this being my house, where things get done my way in my time. So I don't appreciate it when my mum puts my running stuff in the washing machine as I'm about to go for a run, however well intentioned she is. I don't appreciate my dad looking sniffily at my food and insisting on going out for meals. It won't kill him to eat something healthy for once, surely, and going out just isn't a treat for me.

I get frustrated when I get shoved in the back of the (tiny) hire car for a journey I do all the time, and which I would obviously have not got stuck in a traffic jam for. Last night Dad drove to Wigan. When I drive I'm usually there by 7, with him at the wheel, and with an unscheduled and unnecessarily long 20 minute stop at the services, we got there 2 minutes after the 8pm kick off. OK there was snow, and it was slower than normal, but if we hadn't stopped then we might actually have had time for a drink before the game...

And they still make plans for me without checking first what I have planned for the weekend. And insist on making the house sub-tropical with their overuse of my expensive gas. And buy bag after bag of sweets, and bring cakes and biscuits into the house.

I start getting defensive and stroppy when I feel like I'm not being treated like an adult with my own home and my own life. When I'm in their house I ask them before I use stuff, and I ask them where stuff goes. I don't just put things away where I'd keep them if it was my house, or take over how things are done. But obviously the way to deal with the situation is to act like a child, strop, and wage war over the remote control (I'm very successful with this one).

Tomorrow I really must try to be a bit more mature...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you keep a straight face?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so this is a bit of a random question... but who do you support? Rugby League or Union?

Just wondering!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hehe, this sounds like my family, when they come over from Spain, they just take over your life, forgetting that you have your own social activities and routines, and no, you dont want to go out for a meal EVERY night!

Grit your teeth and smile politely, always works for me!

gill (long time reader de-lurked!)

4:30 PM  
Blogger YP said...

Emma - I'm a league fan - Wigan.

9:57 PM  
Blogger K said...

Hang in there...

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home