Thursday, May 17, 2007

Taper

Yes, this is running stuff, but I can't think about much else at the moment so you'll have to put up with it. I'm tapering and it's already doing my head in. I can't exercise as much, but my appetite doesn't seem to be dropping as much as my mileage. And then I feel guilty that I'm not burning it off. I need to remind myself that in the short term it doesn't matter, and I am just doing this short term, until I get the chance to burn it off.

This time round I'm amazed at how much more prepared and focussed I feel. I know what I'm doing it and why I'm doing it, and I'm not scared in the slightest about the prospect of doing a marathon. It's just another race really, just a bit longer and a bit more of a target, but all I need to do is put one foot in front of the other and keep going...

I really do believe that anyone can do a marathon. It's not that special. Yes, it takes a lot of hard work, but if you're prepared to put the time and effort in, you'll come out the other side with a medal. it's a lot like weight loss, really. It's not a short term commitment, and there are times when you wonder whether it's really worth it, but when the end is in sight, and at the end when you get to stroke your shiny new medal, or feel your flat(ish) stomach, it really is worth it.

2 Comments:

Blogger JessiferSeabs said...

Thank you for saying that. I am training for my first marathon right now (it's in October), and part of what convinced me to sign up is that you inspired me so much! I've lost 70 lbs and am working on the last 30, so my end goal is teh same as yours: lose 100 lbs and run a marathon! GOOD LUCK!

9:52 PM  
Blogger flurogoddess said...

I am SOOOOOoo looking forward to tapering and I'm only starting! LOL!

Remember to STAY AWAY FROM BICYCLES and CARB UP and you'll be fine :D

I have total, 100% absolute faith in you that you will smash your marathon PB and get a wicked GFA time. Remember this at mile 20 when you want to curl up and die. It's a good mantra to repeat what someone says about how good you are!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home