Saturday, June 09, 2007

I love summer

I've had a really nice today, and it really brought home just how much more active I am these days, even discounting "formal" exercise.

My car needed work doing on its brakes, which presented a perfect run opportunity. I took the car to the garage, dropped it off and then ran home, the long way via the park and the lake. I did just over an hour, I was hoping for a bit longer but I'm still not pushing it too hard, so I called it a day once I'd gone a bit further than I did on Thursday.

I then did some gardening and worked up quite a sweat. It's still more of a chore than a pleasure, but it still gets me moving.

Then it was time to pick the car up. I could have got the bus down there, but as it was such a lovely day I decided to walk down instead. It's maybe a mile and a half, and I pretty much beat the bus anyway - as I got to the end of the road I realised I'd just missed a bus, and I was practically there by the time another one came past.

Then back home, and I decided to go for a bike ride. Not a measured, HR monitored, timed bike ride, just a potter down to the park and back for a bit more practice in a traffic free environment. Although riding in the park might have been harder because of the need to swerve round toddlers and dogs, with hindsight. I think I must have done a good 5 miles, and I treated myself to an ice cream while I was there.

It's ages since i've had a proper 99. Recently I've been disappointed with stuff like magnums, but having a tub (rather than a cone) of the soft white stuff with strawberry sauce and a flake made it feel so much more like a nice English summers day. And I'm sure that I must have burned it off with all the extra moving around, so it felt like a nice treat.

2 Comments:

Blogger polechick said...

Wow, I need that motivation. It's good that you find all those ways to stay active all day long!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Those kind of treats are the best ones... the ones you can freely enjoy and indulge in because you know deserve it. I hope all is well with you YP! Greetings from Holland, Amanda Jane :)

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home