Sunday, November 25, 2007

Not so bad

This weekend actually turned out not to be as bad as I'd feared. The situation in Blackpool isn't great, but at least everything seems to be calmer now, and in reality we might not have to go through this for too long. You can see her slipping from being someone with a terminal illness, to someone who is actually dying from it. That's not a nice thing, but maybe it's better than this sort of limbo.

I raced today too. I signed up for a 10k to give me something to aim for after the marathons, but my legs have felt lethargic since I got back. I've put on a few pounds, and my legs are still recovering, so I was half thinking of pulling out. The thought of getting up early on a Sunday when I have so few opportunities for a lie in wasn't too tempting. But some people from running club were forming a cheering squad (complete with banners with my name on them!) so I didn't feel I could disappoint my public. I actually did a lot better than I was expecting, my PB is 47:09, and I was expecting to struggle to get under 50 but actually finished in 48:12, so a lot closer to my fastest than I thought I was.

I went to Hansa's for a veggie lunch, to get some fresh veg into me after the nutritional black hole that is Blackpool. Yesterday I ate (white) toast for breakfast, half a pizza, chips and apple strudel with custard for lunch, and crumpets with cheese, and a little bakewell tart for tea. That's not exactly 5 a day... I can't believe that I'm now so hooked on getting my fruit and veg fix that I stopped at the services on the way home and raided M&S for a salad! I used to stop at the services for chocolate and now I hunt out lettuce. Is this a change for the better?

My eating does seem to be getting a bit better. My weight is jumping around all over the place at the moment, but I'm feeling like I'm getting into more of a routine and getting a handle on this thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger old_black said...

Wow, your own fan club...how cool is that? Great work to do such a good time.

And in regard to weight, I find I can be too obsessive about it. My weight varies inexplicably by up to 2 kg, so I've made a vow to not measure it more than once a month, and to just make sure it's not doing a long term upward trend.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Lucinda said...

Fan Club, that's fab! Great that you made them proud, and of course yourself.

8:12 PM  
Blogger t__m__i said...

:/
I did wonder if the hospital had sent your Gran home so she could have a chance of passing away there rather than in a ward bed... It would have been nice of them to sit you all down and talk it through straight, but sadly communications (and the "targets" and "shifting bed-blockers" culture) don't sound as if they have improved much in the 11 years since my FiL was dying of bladder cancer.
Glad to hear that at least you have support and an outlet for the stress still in your running.
Hope you don't encounter too many more impediments to doing what you can for your Gran while she's still around. Good luck and keep eating the vegetables...

9:15 PM  
Blogger sunshine said...

Found your blog through Dick Und Duenn... as a fellow marathoner, looking forward to hearing more about your training.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dLet's face it, we all want to look like rock stars. This anonymous tool (http://www.eatingdisorder.org/about_eating_disorders/resources/quiz.php) from the Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt can help identify whether you or someone you know has an eating disorder. Check it out and pass it on.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home