Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

So, as usually happens when I'm not in Spain, I stayed in with the tv remote and some wine, but that was fine by me. I'm out for a friend's birthday on Friday, so thought I'd save the hardcore partying for that.

New year is a bit of a non-event to me. It's a date, that's all. I'm not into making big life changing decisions just because it's January. When it came for me, it was July, and because it was right, not because the date changed.

I sometimes make vague resolutions, and witter on about what I want to do in the year ahead. This year, I've narrowed it down to one. I've learned a lot about myself, what makes me tick, what training I need, what food I need, what my goals are, and what I need to work on over the past year. Not just from the high points, like maintaining my weight for another year, running two sub-4 marathons, winning two 5k time trials, but also from the lows. Realising what family and friends do mean to me, even when I don't let them know it. Realising what my priorities in life are - which things stay when time gets short and which can be sacrificed for something more important.

So in 2008, my only aim is to trust my instinct. I know what's best for me now, but there are times when I still struggle to listen to myself. I know that the extra glass of wine won't make me happy, but I drink it anyway. I know what I should do, but I'm too proud or stubborn to do it.

Although, if you want something more concrete, I'm also going to train my arse off to go under 3:45 at FLM...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

That sounds like a great resolution - best wishes with achieving it.

Oh, and have fun with all that training.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I wanted you to know I check your blog daily and its because of you that I am starting my running program. So far I have lost 59 pounds with about 100 to go. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

throwingoutthefatclothes.blogspot.com

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home